Saturday, February 25, 2012

Off my feed...for awhile

My parents like to tell the story of my decision to give up chicken.

Sometime in the '80s, I saw a report on a television newsmagazine (20/20? 60 Minutes?) about the production of chicken. It was fairly vivid, and wholly disgusting. It put me off chicken for quite awhile. 

And then I started eating it again.

Okay, it's not much of a story. It only makes a decent family story because...well, I don't really know why. But it always strikes us as funny.

At any rate, Righteous Porkchop may well have the same sort of impact as that report did back in the day. And it might be equally temporary. 

But it also might not be. 

See, I was just a kid in the '80s, and what I remember most about the story I saw is that it grossed me out. I don't remember that I had any particular concerns about the ethics of the production of chicken, however. 

Indeed, it would be fair to say that the ethics of food production has never been at the forefront of my mind--not even during my college days as a philosophy major. 

What has crept into my consciousness of late, however, is the awareness that the issue is of increasing importance to an increasing number of people. For that reason, I'm pleased that the Linn Area Reads program has taken up the topic. 

Will Righteous Porkchop put me (or you) off my feed? Maybe. It will certainly provide plenty of food for thought--for me and for the community.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it's still creeping into my consciousness, Rob, and I'm a lot older than you. I keep making choices that move me in the direction of what I think is "right," it's never been a dramatic thing for me.

    I'm looking forward to the community discussion, too!

    ReplyDelete