Friday, March 30, 2012

Grillin' Time

It's been such nice weather lately, that we already have grilling season in full swing at our house. I love grilling season, but I will admit that it's probably because I take a break from the cooking and my husband does the work. And, let's face it, grill clean-up is usually simpler than kitchen cooking clean-up. Plus, I really love grilled food.

Sometimes people ask me what I eat off the grill since I'm a vegetarian. Grilled veggies are some of my favorites. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, there's a decent chance I'd choose grilled asparagus. My husband has mastered the grilled portabella (which I've heard referred to as "the vegetarian steak") and there are always peppers, onions, and potatoes alongside everything we grill. So I am well taken care of at dinner time.

We have experimented with grilled pizza, which is a favorite for some folks. I don't think we've quite perfected that on our grill yet, but the trials and errors are definitely enjoyable nonetheless.

If you are grilling out and the veggies aren't enough because you want a "meat substitute" (and the portabella isn't filling that void for you), there are some great veggie burgers out there. Typically, I'm not a fan of "fake meat." I always say, "I don't want to eat meat and I don't want to eat anything that pretends to be meat." I know I'm in the minority there. Vegetarian meat substitutes are extremely popular and a wonderful option. Some are just too close to real meat in texture that I have a hard time remembering that they are not really meat. I wish I could get past it because I feel like that's a world of wonderful options as well.

There is a type of veggie burger that I love though. And that is a black bean burger. I've always bought frozen black bean burgers in the past, but today I stumbled across this recipe and now I can't wait to try it! If it's as good as I think it's going to be, I'll be making up a huge batch of these and stocking my freezer for the grilling days to come.

Also, the new addiction at our house is kale chips! I heard about these quite some time ago and can not figure out why I waited so long to give them a try. They are simple to make, healthy, and a great snack...so much better for me than those potato chips I love so much. It's not uncommon for us to eat a whole bundle of kale (or two...or three) in one evening now that I make these. I'm late to jump on this bandwagon, but I'm glad I didn't miss it completely!

What is on your grill?

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete