Saturday, March 17, 2012

Homegrown goodness

Thanks to this beautiful weather mid-March, I've already been able to get out to play in the dirt a bit this year - and it feels great! Plotting my garden each year is always fun -- and stressful. I have limited space and those seed catalogs just make everything look so good!

Even though I have a small garden of my own, I am looking more seriously at joining a CSA this year as well. I try to grow so many different things in such a small space that I can't grow much of any one thing. I'm going to try something different this year - grow a few of our favorites here at home and then join a CSA for a wider variety of fruits and vegetables.

I've also talked to a neighbor that is renting a large garden plot. What a great idea! I know myself enough to know that if it isn't right here at my house, I could end up neglecting it more than I should. (Sometimes I manage to even neglect my poor little garden that is right in front of my face.) Still, this idea seems so fabulous to me that I wish I was a more reasonable "plant parent."

No matter what options you are considering, more information is never a bad thing. Don't forget that tomorrow is the 3rd Annual Linn County Local Farmer and CSA Fair at Prairiewoods from 2 pm - 5 pm. Stop by and learn more about your local food options.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your gardening aspirations, Amanda! I have learned that "ignoring" is my forte, so I don't do gardening anymore. However, I do belong to the Iowa Valley Food Co-op (http://iowavalleyfood.com) and explore the organic and Health Market sections at Hy-Vee. I'm glad to know about the Prairiewoods event -- but also want to remind all of our readers about our own Farm to Market Vendor Fair. This great event is offered as part of Linn Area Reads and will take place at the Cedar Rapids Public Library at Westdale from 1:00-5:00 on Sunday, April 22. Come on out and learn about local food and living options!

    ReplyDelete