Friday, March 2, 2012

Local Food Co-op Makes Healthy Choices Fun, Useful

The cart is open! On the first of each month, Iowa Valley Food Co-op opens its member carts. Members have about two weeks to browse the selections, all foods and hand made goods from area producers, and fill their carts. On a pre-announced date, the carts close, you have purchased what's in your cart at that time, and all you have to do is go to the First Presbyterian Church in downtown Cedar Rapids to collect your stuff. It's a great system, and the Co-op's website is a joy to explore because of the variety of things available each month. A membership is only $25 the first year, and $10/year thereafter; my gosh! It just doesn't get any better than that! I'd encourage you all to explore the Iowa Valley Food Co-op website, and then, if you're not already a member, take Amanda's challenge to try something new this month -- and join! There's still time to get in on the March order. This isn't just for vegetarians: there's a wide selection of meats, candies, desserts, coffee, pet supplies, household cleaning products, granola: worth a look. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this info, Jo. I'm pretty much convinced we'll be joining a CSA this year. I started gardening a few years ago, but have resigned to the fact that my limited space won't allow me to grow the variety and/or quantity that I want. But I'm not giving up my own garden! We'll just have lots and lots of veggies! (Not a bad problem, huh?) I'll definitely be looking at this option so thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked it out--looks great!

    ReplyDelete