Saturday, April 14, 2012

Everything but the Squeal

Our family always has ham for Easter dinner.  And every year, I throw away the ham bone.  "Don't tell my dad," I say to my family.  My dad always made split pea soup with the ham bone, but I look at that thing with all the fat on it and say "no way."

But this year, my older son really wanted to make soup with the ham bone.  And my squeamishness was beginning to be at war with my desire to be thrifty. So this is how I did it.

First, I made broth with the ham bone.  After our Easter dinner guests left, I cut the remaining ham off the bone for leftovers.  The bone went into my stock pot with enough water to cover it.  Then I cooked it for about 45 minutes.

The broth went into the fridge, and I skimmed off the fat (plenty of it!) the next day.

Then I made the soup with the broth.

It was very good!

Here's my recipe, adapted from Good Housekeeping's Cookbook, with some of the special touches of the Moosewood Cookbook's vegetarian version (my favorite!) added.

Split Pea Soup with Ham broth
1 16-oz package split peas
1 bay leaf
4-5 c. ham bone broth (it is salty; use less if you prefer less salty soup)
2-3 c. water, to make 7 c. total liquid
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced

Put all in a stock pot.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.
Then add:
1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
a few drops of toasted sesame oil
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 c. ham pieces, left over from the ham bone

Cook for 15-30 minutes.
Before serving, add 2-4 T. chopped parsley.

Serve with a hearty bread, like no-knead bread or faster no-knead bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment