Saturday, April 21, 2012

Fish Tale

So I'm heading to the grocery store with my list and my canvas bags, and as I am rolling into the parking lot, a story on the radio catches my attention.

It was about fish farming, and the guest, an expert on the fishing industry, pointed out that people should realize that most fish are not sustainably harvested.  He gave the example of tilapia--the the fish are often farmed in large-scale fish farms that pollute the waters.

This caught my attention, because there on my shopping list was the item "frozen tilapia."

We've started to have fish about once a week at our house, and we love the mild, tender white fish.  I coat it in honey-mustard dip, roll it in seasoned bread crumbs, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

But as I turned off the car and went into the grocery store, I wondered if there were a more sustainable fish I could buy.

It turns out that tilapia can be a good choice, according to the well-known Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch , but only if it is farmed in the US.  The frozen tilapia I had found at the Hy-Vee was from China--a type of fish to avoid (there, it is not farmed in a sustainable way).

Another good choice, though, was catfish a type of fish available all over the far-from-the-ocean midwest!  And it was on sale at Hy-Vee.  We tried some catfish this week--it was mild and very tender, similar to the tilapia.  I cooked it the same way as I did the tilapia, but next time, I'm going to slice it into thinner filets.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try catfish. I have purchased that same Tilapia fairly regularly without even realizing the impact. That's why it's so important to be educated on these things--so you can make a decision based on fact not assumptions. :)Thanks, Jane!

    ReplyDelete